How will Scoliosis Yoga Therapy Help Me?
- Alleviate pain and stiffness
- Improve postural alignment
- Create muscular strength and balance
- Feel more “at home” in your body, learn how to live comfortably with your scoliosis
- Potentially reduce or stop the progression of your curves and spinal rotation
- Create a sense of empowerment – take control of your health and well being
How do you know if you have Scoliosis?
Signs and symptoms of scoliosis may include:
- One of your shoulders may be higher. (One bra strap keeps slipping off your shoulder)
- One of your hips may be higher. (Your belt might look uneven)
- Your waist appears uneven
- Your body could be leaning to the side
- One of your shoulder blades appears more prominent than the other
- Your head isn’t located directly above your pelvis
- Your head may appear forward of your shoulders when viewed from the side
Scoliosis forward flexion test (simple test you can do at home)
Bend forward with your arms extended and bring your palms together.
Have someone observe your spine from the back. As illustrated in the picture, if one side of your back appears higher than the other side (in the picture the right is higher than the left as indicated by placing a piece of cardboard on the mid back). This is an indication you may have scoliosis.
Christine combines modified basic yoga postures with breath awareness to develop structural and symmetrical spinal alignment. This is accomplished by stretching tight muscles and strengthening weak muscles. You will create a more effortless posture using your bone structure, rather than over working your muscles to maintain your posture. Through yoga, you can find the balance point that allows the scoliosis curve to coexist with gravity and activates the body’s natural plumb line. The result for most people with scoliosis is better posture and less pain.
No previous yoga experience is required.
Simple, basic yoga postures are modified to help minimize the body’s asymmetries and compensate for tight and weak muscles that are created by the body adapting to the scoliosis curves. The breath is also a critical element; movement and intention are linked with the breath.
You will receive a dynamic program created specifically for you for continued home practice. Your personalized program will change over time as you deepen your practice and knowledge of your body. It will focus on lengthening the spine, stretching muscles that have become tight and strengthening muscles that have become weak. There is also a focus on de-rotating the spine and ribs, creating more balance and harmony in the body. A minimum of five one hour sessions is recommended.
Prerequisite – five one hour private sessions.
Small group sessions will be offered to clients that have completed a minimum of five one hour private sessions. Sessions will build, reinforce and fine tune postures that will support moving the body from asymmetry towards symmetry. Meeting regularly in small groups will help maintain and build your home practice and foster a sense of community and sharing.
Thanks for the amazing treatment this Friday!
Your treatment allowed me to have a terrific nights sleep the night before my party,